|Me as a baby|
I took the total neck and bottom circumferences and divided them by six so that I would have three orange pieces in front and three in back in order to imitate the sections of a pumpkin; I added an inch to each piece for a 1/2" seam allowance on each side, top, and bottom. I cut out a pattern piece on a piece of cardstock from a cereal box. I stacked the fabric to cut out all six pieces at one time because I LIVE DANGEROUSLY! Seriously, it's a better idea to not cut out more than one piece at a time. I'll have to check, but I think I used less than a yard of the orange fabric. It was a quilting fabric from Joann's, pumpkin-colored. The liner fabric was a pretty green I had laying around that reminded me of the stalk. I cut two pieces so that I wouldn't have to cut openings for the arms.
I sewed the front three orange pieces together, then the back three. I ironed down the seams even though that's super tedious and one of my least favorite parts of sewing. I was going to make my baby's outfit look as good as I could. At this point, I had to make a concession. I was planning on putting batting between the outside and liner. I would have sewed the quilting down between the six pieces to emphasize the separation, making it go down between pieces like a real pumpkin. However, it was waaay too narrow add padding. I had to forgo this step. Instead, I went ahead and appliqued the jack-o'-lantern face so that the threads in the back would be hidden by the lining. I cut pieces of felt and attached them with a machine-applique stitch. I love my electric sewing machine!
Next, I sewed the front and back together, leaving the armhole open. (This required attaching from the top down, cutting the thread when I got to the armhole, starting again at the bottom of the armhole before continuing to the bottom.) I then attached the front and back green pieces, repeating the armhole process. With right sides together I attached the orange and green pieces with a 1/2" seam allowance. I turned it so that the wrong sides were together and ironed the top flat. Then, I sewed a casing around the neck for the elastic. I wanted it to be tight enough to not fall down her shoulders but large enough to go over her head comfortably. Lastly, I closed up the armholes and the bottom with topstitching.
|Me with my baby|